You are here: Home|Things to See|Old Cemetery

Old Graveyard - Moffat

The old graveyard in Moffat is situated at the south end of the High Street and, as well as the specific graves mentioned below, also has the graves of the two postmen who perished in the snow near the Beeftub when they were attempting to deliver the mail to Moffat in treacherous conditions.

It includes remains of the gable end of a pre-reformation church and in 1685 Claverhouse stood in the churchyard and ordered the people of Moffat to take the oath of allegiance.

Old Graveyard - remains of chapel

In 1747 the original graveyard was covered over with four feet of soil to accommodate future burials.

John Louden Macadam (inventor of the macadamised road surface) was buried here in 1836.

In the late 18th Century a new church was built on the site of the present St Andrew's Church.

Clan Chief of the Moffats - Francis Moffat - was buried here in 1992.

For further historical information,
please visit Moffat Museum

moffat museum cherr blossom
things to do
places to stay
places to eat
Places to Shop
Menu